Structured, supervised after-school martial arts and leadership skills
Families can’t find balance if kids don’t have a safe, welcoming, goal-oriented place to land after school—a place that feels like home, and offers structure and supervision to learn and have fun until parent pickup. TBK safely and reliably transports students from area elementary and middle schools one to five days a week, and covers your family on institute and early dismissal days, too.
The After-school Martial Arts Program (AMP) is run by co-owner and instructor Master Sue Helsdon, mom of two and a former special education teacher who holds two master’s degrees in education. Master H and TBK college helpers ensure students confidently complete their homework, learn karate and leadership skills, and enjoy a snack and recharge time.
Signs of a Great After-school Program (from GreatSchools.org)
- Clear goals and a program designed to meet those goals
- Space, staff, and resources to offer structured activities
- A schedule that allows students time to learn and practice skills — art, sports, etc.
- Homework help
- Staff who relate well to students, manage groups well, maintain high expectations, and keep students motivated
- Flexible attendance schedules and reasonable cost
- Established communication channels with parents and school staff